Lice: The definitive guide and how to eliminate them
Lice are the most annoying bugs there are. They can become big pests and cause many inconveniences. Learn to get rid of lice forever.
What are lice?
The lice, scientifically known as Phthiraptera, are a class of wingless insects, which feed on the blood of the host, where they complete their entire life cycle. They affect all birds and mammals (including humans), and their eggs are called nits. These adult parasites measure between 0.2 and 0.8 mm in their adult stage.
How to know if I have lice?
If you suffer the symptoms or think you have, to detect them, you must do the following:
- Buy a special comb.
- Pass the comb through all your hair.
- When finished, look carefully at the comb, if you see that things move, you really have these annoying insects.
What is pediculosis?
The pediculosis is the infestation of these insects (lice), which can become a great torture for those who suffer it, the reasons for these are the following:
- It generates intense itching on the scalp.
- General discomfort in the entire scalp.
- Itching in the pubis.
Lice do not cause any disease directly and it is not really dangerous to health, but it is very annoying.
However, the intense itching can lead to injury to the scalp, increasing the risk of infection considerably.
If you have pediculosis or you want to avoid it, you are in the right place, because in this article you will learn everything necessary so that they are problems of the past and you do not have to worry about them again, and in this way, avoid evil time that they can make you or your children.
How is pediculosis spread?
These insects can not jump or fly, the usual form of contagion is by direct contact between two heads.
The time it takes to get it is not exact, it can be a lot or a little.
Something to keep in mind, is that these parasites can be spread by sharing things like: hats, brushes, pillows, towels or sheets, among other objects that come into contact with the head, so it is advisable not to share them.
What are the symptoms of pediculosis?
Symptoms can take up to 4 weeks to appear, so when you come in contact with someone who is infested and does not feel symptoms every day, it does not mean you are safe.
The pediculosis, usually gives the following effects:
- Strong itching in behind the ears, neck and the entire scalp.
- Sensation of something walking on your scalp.
- Constant discomfort.
- Dandruff or various allergies can appear on the scalp, which indicate that there are parasites.
Can an adult get pediculosis?
Anyone can have, however, is more common in children, therefore, if you are a parent, you should be very aware of the situation that is in the school where your children are, since the place where they are most often To infect children with pediculosis, it is at school.
Try to always be aware of the information handled by teachers, in this way, you will know if your child is safe or not.
The Best Home Remedies to eliminate lice once and for all
There are many ways to eliminate, but without a doubt, the best is with home remedies, among which the following stand out:
Remedy against lice with mayonnaise and vinegar
If you want to treat them, but want to keep your hair beautiful, this home remedy to eliminate them is ideal for you.
To work properly, follow these steps:
- Put three tablespoons of mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Take a considerable amount of vinegar.
- You must mix both in the container or the cup.
- Proceed to apply it on the entire scalp.
It will help you to finish with the eggs (nits) and it will also leave your hair shiny.
Remove lice with olive oil
Olive oil is among the best home remedies to kill lice, this is because the ingredients you have, are responsible for killing them forever.
To apply this remedy correctly, you must do the following:
- Apply olive oil on the entire scalp.
- Find a plastic cap and put it on your head.
- Let it act all night.
- When you wake up, look for a special comb for louse and go through all your hair with it, to eliminate the remains of the parasites that may remain.
- Then wash your hair well with a special shampoo.
Repeat this, for at least 5 days in a row.
Kill lice and nits with garlic
Maybe it does not leave your hair with a good scent, however, it is one of the home remedies to eliminate lice faster of all.
So that the garlic can eliminate them, you must do the following:
- Grind a garlic head and mix with half a liter of water.
- Proceed to massage the entire scalp with the resulting liquid, for at least 10 minutes.
- Find a plastic cap and put it on your head.
The most advisable thing is that you let it act during all the night, so that its effect is stronger and you can finish in a short lapse of time.
Eliminate lice with baby oil
Baby oil can serve as an excellent home remedy to eliminate louse, although its effect is not as fast as that of other remedies that we have presented in the list, is very effective, basically applies the phrase: “slow but safe”
To use baby oil as a home remedy to eliminate, do the following:
- Sprinkle the entire scalp with baby oil.
- With a plastic cap, cover the head and leave it like that for a couple of hours.
- Repeat this, one day a week, for a full month.
The most advisable, is that you use shampoo, combined with this homemade trick to eliminate.
Ending the parasites with eucalyptus
To convert eucalyptus into a home remedy, you must do the following:
- Pour a liter of water into a pit.
- Put a few eucalyptus leaves in the water.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Apply on the entire scalp and remember to take it to the tips.
Kill lice with apple cider vinegar
Undoubtedly, vinegar is one of the things that kills insects faster, this is due to the components that vinegar has.
But, apple cider vinegar is more powerful than normal vinegar.
To apply it correctly, do the following:
- Mix the apple cider vinegar with hot water.
- The hair must be completely dry.
- You must apply it from the root to the tips.
Maybe to the first applied you can not finish with all, therefore, repeat again the third day and if you still feel the annoying, reapply as many times as you need.
It can take you up to two weeks to end parasites forever.
Eradicate lice with alcohol
The smell of alcohol can solve the pediculosis in a matter of minutes, because it is so strong that it works as an excellent pesticide for these pesky bugs.
It is very easy to apply this home remedy, just do the following:
- Covers all hair with odorous alcohol, the stronger the better.
- Look for a plastic cap with which to cover your entire head.
- Leave on for at least 5 hours.
Maybe you should repeat this process 3 more times.
Fight the lice with lavender essence
A really strong home remedy, which can end these forever, you should only do the following:
- Apply the essence of lavender only at the root.
- Remember to use gloves on your hands, as it can cause discomfort.
- Do not apply large amounts and remember that it can have side effects on the scalp.
Eliminate lice with oil mixture
The oils are very good to remove from your head, as it helps that they can not cling to your hair and slowly leave your scalp.
The best mixture of oils to eliminate lice, is the following:
- A base of coconut oil of 6 tablespoons.
- A head of garlic crushed and well spread in coconut oil.
- Pour Jasmine oil and mix everything well.
Then apply this mixture on your head for at least 30 minutes and the results will be incredible.
Things to keep in mind when you face these insects
After applying the home remedies, keep in mind the following:
- After finishing them, you can continue to itch for two more weeks, therefore, do not despair, if you have checked the hair and there is nothing, keep calm and wait for the itching to pass. You can use antibiotics (under medical prescription).
- Try to control your impulses of wanting to scratch the affected area, be very careful, since you can get to break some areas of the scalp and create terrible infections, because, this is the biggest risk it causes.
- If close friends have, or somewhere you go frequently, or in your children’s school there are children who suffer them, you should use remedies to avoid them, because they can be easily spread without you noticing and it is best to avoid it .
Avoid Lice with Home Remedies
If you do not have it, but a close relative if you have it, you should know how to avoid the parasites, because, if someone at home has an infestation, there is a good chance that the other inhabitants of the house will also be infested, therefore, keep in mind the following home remedies to avoid these annoying insects:
Shampoo with essential oils
You have to maintain a lot of hygiene in your hair and shampoo is the key to all this, it is best to buy a shampoo and then do the following mixture:
- A base with 5 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Then, 5 drops of tea tree oil.
- 5 drops of rosemary oil.
- Mix a little and then add 5 drops of lavender oil.
- 5 drops of mint essential oil.
- 5 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Mix everything well and pour all this in one part of the shampoo.
This will serve as an excellent repellent.
Boil a little water and then pour vinegar, mix and let it cool a bit and apply it to the hair.
It should be something warm so that it can be effective and should be washed well, and then proceed to wash the hair with shampoo.
Hygiene and use a suitable comb
The best way to avoid them is to maintain good hygiene, therefore, frequently wash the hair with antidandruff shampoos, among other things.
Finally, brush your hair with a fine comb, to make sure it is gone.
Remember that this is more frequent in children, therefore, you should do this every so often in your little ones, to make sure they do not go through these bad times.
You should also take care of young children when they go to school, if you hear that the school where there is infestation, it is best to use one of these home remedies to avoid them.
The 3 Best TREATMENTS to eliminate lice
If you want to know complete treatments to eliminate lice safely, we leave you the 3 best treatments that currently exist and that are a mixture of home remedies and medicines.
1.Treatment with tea tree oil
The tea tree oil, serves both to eliminate them, and to prevent them, so, it has double function and is an excellent treatment, what you should do is the following:
- Prepare a mixture of 25 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply on the head, from the root, to the tips.
- Leave on for 30 minutes and then rinse the hair thoroughly.
It serves both to prevent, and to kill them.
2.Treatment to eliminate lice with aromatic oils and apple cider vinegar
We already talked about how effective apple cider vinegar can be to eliminate the insects on the head, but there is a treatment combining aromatic oils and apple cider vinegar, which gives incredible results.
To make it work, do the following:
- In a base of 10 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, pour 5 drops of coconut oil.
- Mix well and proceed to put this treatment on the hair.
- Once all the scalp and tips are soaked with this treatment, you should let it act for 45 minutes (it is recommended to use a plastic cap during this process).
- One time, you should wash everything well and proceed to clean the hair with a special comb.
3.Special treatment with olive oil and mayonnaise
Heat the olive oil until it is at a bearable temperature, once it is hot, it proceeds to pour the oil all over the scalp, it must be a considerable amount to leave the hair completely soaked.
Let them spend at least 5 minutes and then proceed to wash the hair, it will be considerably soft, but, to increase the effect, put mayonnaise on the hair and proceed to cover it with a plastic cap for 30 minutes.
These two things together, will ensure a scalp free of nits, for a long period of time.
Most used drugs to kill lice
If you prefer to use more professional and unnatural medicines, we present you the medicines to kill them, which have been approved by the administration of food and medicines, which are the following:
- Products based on pyrethrin.
- Permethrin cream
- Malathion lotion
- Benzyl alcohol lotion (also, relieves itching).
- Topical suspension of spinosad.
- Ivermectin lotion.
In the same way, it is recommended to visit a trusted doctor, before starting a treatment with any of the aforementioned medications.
The most recommended are home remedies, because these other remedies can cause many side effects in people.
Other interesting articles about these insects
- 1 Lice: The definitive guide and how to eliminate them
- 2 What are lice?
- 3 What is pediculosis?
- 4 The Best Home Remedies to eliminate lice once and for all
- 5 Avoid Lice with Home Remedies
- 6 The 3 Best TREATMENTS to eliminate lice
- 7 Most used drugs to kill lice
- 8 Other interesting articles about these insects